Decided to buy a pillow, but coming to the store realized that this is not such an easy task? Since you know almost nothing about their shapes, sizes and fillings. That’s okay. Because now we will tell you all about how to choose a pillow for every member of the family, including children and those with allergies.
Choosing the right pillow
Pillow for sleep is an individual household item, which should be selected, guided by the physiological characteristics of the person who will use it. Do not buy the same pillow for all family members. After all, everyone has a different physique and individual preferences. Someone likes to sleep on a firm support, someone on a soft, and someone needs an orthopedic or hypoallergenic product. Therefore, deciding which pillow to choose, consult with those who will sleep on it. After all, if you buy a turquoise pillow for a man, he may not appreciate such a gift.
Pillows for children
To properly choose a pillow for a child, follow these tips:
- With all the advantages of products with natural fillers, it is better to give preference to synthetic materials – microgel or silicone. They are hypoallergenic, durable and washable.
- The cover of a child’s pillow should be made of 100% cotton. This is necessary to protect against static electricity.
- If you still want to give preference to a natural filler, take a pillow with down or bamboo fiber. It is important that they are made by well-known manufacturers with a good reputation.
- The size of the pillow for a child should be slightly narrower than his shoulders. Stiffness should be medium.
- When buying, be as meticulous as possible: consider the pillow and cover from all sides, check the density, smell and quality of the seams, and do not forget about hypoallergenic properties and the presence of special signs “for children”.
- Take note that doctors do not recommend buying pillows for children under the age of 2 years. This can negatively affect the development of their musculoskeletal system.
Checklist for buying a pillow
Now that you are equipped with theory, you can go to the store and on the spot to decide what kind of pillows are better. Here’s a little checklist for that:
- Ask the consultant if they have a pillow with the properties you need: rigidity, size, materials. And do not believe only the words of the seller, check the labeling of products.
- Do not hesitate to ask the seller about the features of certain products: how to wash them, and whether it is possible to do, how long they last, how to care for them, and whether the filler absorbs odors or moisture.
- Remember, or better yet, write down what the salesperson told you and with this information go on the Internet – double-check it. Read the reviews. And under no circumstances buy a pillow without double-checking it.
- If possible, test the pillow on the spot, or better yet, at your home.
- When checking a particular product on the Internet, do not forget to specify its cost.
If you choose outdoor throw pillows, then you need slightly different rules, because the pillows will serve as a decoration.